Associate Proffesor, Department of Materials Science, Tohoku University
- Field of Specialty:
- Specific Topics:
- Spin-orbit interaction in semiconductors
E-mail : makoto[at]material.tohoku.ac.jp
I have studied electrical spin generation, manipulation and detection by using spin-orbit interaction in III-V semiconductor heterostructures. Since spin-orbit interaction acts as an effective magnetic field for electron spins, we can control spin states without using external magnetic fields and magnetic materials. In this project, we will research spin functionalities by using the spin-orbit interaction in semiconductor mesoscopic devices.
- B.Sc. in Electrical engineering, Tohoku University
- M.S. in Electrical engineering, Tohoku University
- Ph.D. in Electrical engineering, Tohoku University
- -2005 Research Fellowship for Young Scientists, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- -2007 Research Associate, School of Engineering, Tohoku University
- -2010 Assistant Professor, School of Engineering, Tohoku University
- Researcher, Japan Science and Technology Agency
- -Present Associate Proffesor, Department of Materials Science, Tohoku University
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Japan Society of Applied Physics presentation award
- A research encouragement awardin Aoba foundation
- A research encouragement awardin Tokin foundation
- The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan in 2018.
SELECTION OF PUBLICATIONS
"Drift transport of helical spin coherence with tailored spin-orbit interactions"
Y. Kunihashi, H. Sanada, H. Gotoh, K. Onomitsu, M. Kohda, J. Nitta, and T. Sogawa.
Nature Communications 7, 10722-1-6 (Mar. 2016).
"All-optical evaluation of spin-orbit interaction based on diffusive spin motion in a two dimensional electron gas"
M. Kohda, P. Altmann, D. Schuh, S. D. Ganichev, W. Wegscheider, and G. Salis.
Applied Physics Letters 107, 172402-1-5 (Oct. 2015).
"Direct determination of spin-orbit interaction coefficients and realization of the persistent spin helix symmetry"
A. Sasaki, S. Nonaka, Y. Kunihashi, M. Kohda, T. Bauernfeind, T. Dollinger, K. Richter, and J. Nitta
Nature Nanotechnology 13 703-1-7, (Jul. 2014) .
"Spin orbit induced electronic spin separation in semiconductor nanostructures"
M. Kohda, S. Nakamura, Y. Nishihara, K. Kobayashi, T. Ono, J. Ohe, Y. Tokura, T. Mineno, and J. Nitta.
Nature Communications 3 1082-1-8, (Sep. 2012).
"Gate-controlled persistent spin helix state in (In,Ga)As quantum wells"
M. Kohda, V. Lechner, Y. Kunihashi, T. Dollinger, P. Olbrich, C. Schönhuber, I. Caspers, V. V. Bel’kov, L. E. Golub, D. Weiss, K. Richter, J. Nitta, and S. D. Ganichev.
Physical Review B Rapid Communication 86, 081306(R)-1-5 (Aug. 2012) .
"Enhancement of spin orbit interaction and the effect of interface diffusion in InGaAsP/InGaAs heterostructures"
M. Kohda and J. Nitta,
Physical Review B 81, 115118-1-8 (mar. 2010).
"A spin Esaki diode”,
M. Kohda, Y. Ohno, K. Takamura, F. Matsukura, and H. Ohno.
Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 40 (Express Letter), L1274-L1276 (Oct. 2001).