Professor, Department of Physics, Kyoto University
- Development of topological pumping phenomena using cold atoms
E-mail : yitk[at]scphys.kyoto-u.ac.jp
A particle in a one-dimensional periodic potential can be transported when the potential is slowly and periodically modulated, which is only sensitive to the topology of the path in parameter space and is called Thouless charge pump. Recently we successfully demonstrate this topological Thouless pumping using ultracold fermionic atoms of ytterbium(Yb) loaded in a dynamically controlled optical super-lattice.
In this project, we plan to further study various topological pumping phenomena such as topological spin pump, effects of impurities and disorder, and also effect of inter-particle interaction, by exploiting the extremely high controllability of a system of ultracold atoms in an optical lattice.
- B.Sc. in Physics, Kyoto University
- M.S. in Physics, Kyoto University
- Research Associate, Department of Physics, Kyoto University
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Physics, Kyoto University
- Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Kyoto University
- Professor, Department of Physics, Kyoto University
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Distinguished Research Prize in Optical and Quantum Electronics (2006) with T. Yabuzaki
from Japanese Society of Applied Physics.
- Ryogo Kubo Memorial Prize (2008) from Inoue Foundation for Science.
- APS Fellowship (2011) from American Physical Society
- Takuma Hiroshi Prize of Matsuo Foundation (2012) from Matsuo Foundation
- Nishina Memorial Prize
SELECTION OF PUBLICATIONS
"Laser spectroscopic probing of coexisting superfluid and insulating states of an atomic Bose- Hubbard system"
S. Kato, K. Inaba, S. Sugawa, K. Shibata, R. Yamamoto, M. Yamashita, Y. Takahashi,
Nature Communications 7, 11341-1-8 (Apr. 2016).
"An ytterbium quantum gas microscope with narrow-line laser cooling"
R. Yamamoto, J. Kobayashi, T. Kuno, K. Kato and Y. Takahashi,
New Journal of Physics 18, 023016-1-10 (Feb. 2016).
"Feshbach-Resonance-Enhanced Coherent Atom-Molecule Conversion with Ultranarrow Photoassociation Resonance"
S. Taie, S. Watanabe, T. Ichinose and Y. Takahashi,
Physical Review Letters 116, 043202-1-5 (Jan. 2016).
"Topological Thouless pumping of ultracold fermions"
S. Nakajima, T. Tomita, S. Taie, T. Ichinose, H. Ozawa, L. Wang, M. Troyer and Y. Takahashi,
Nature Physics 12, 296-300 (Jan. 2016).
"Coherent driving and freezing of bosonic matter wave in an optical Lieb lattice"
S. Taie, H. Ozawa, T. Ichinose, T. Nishio, S. Nakajima and Y. Takahashi,
Science Advances 20, e1500854-1-7 (Nov. 2015).